Delta Chapter Sigma Rho Fraternity History
Sigma Rho Fraternity was granted a charter, at Montana School of Mines, on May 10, 1927. It was the first chapter of any national college fraternity associated with the School of Mines. The Samplers Club members petitioned the national chapter for recognition, and admission earlier that year. At that time, Geological, and Metallurgical engineers were also admitted. Over the years Sigma Rho expanded admission to include students from all the disciplines in the School of Mines, the College of Engineering, and the College of Mathematics and Science.
Sigma Rho resided in the south wing of Prospector Hall from the 1930ís to the early 1960ís, when R. V. Pierce purchased the Hennessey Mansion, at the NE corner of Park and Excelsior, for the brothers. Mr. Pierce was the original donor to the Raul Pena Art Collection, located in the Library, and was Sigma Rho Alumni.
The fraternity was active on campus at Tech through the early 1980ís, when it disbanded. The fraternity was not banned, as rumor has it.
Sigma Rho brothers annually gave the statue of Marcus Daly his spring bath, on M-Day. Softball games with other groups on campus, various pranks (most of which, the statute of limitations have run out on), cross country ski parties, and the annual Halloween Party at the house were some of the activities enjoyed by the brothers. Members of the fraternity provided an annual Christmas Party for the children at Warm Springs State Hospital, and some were involved in the start of the Mount Haggin cross-country ski trail system.
Sigma Rho had chapters at the University of Minnesota ( Beta ), University of Kentucky (Gamma ), Michigan College Mines( Alpha ), and Montana School of Mines (Delta ).
The fraternity still presents scholarships each year to engineering students at Montana Tech. One of this yearís (2000) recipients is Guy Stickney. The scholarship is provided from a fund provided by the sale of our house. The alumni brothers would like to provide that scholarship to a member, which is one of the reasons for returning the Fraternity to the campus.
At this time (Spring 2000) the chapter is being resurrected. There are three alumni who have agreed to be advisors to the group;
Kenneth Liston RN
Other faculty that have agreed to join, and advise the chapter are;
Dr. Carl Cross
Dr. Corby Anderson
Dr. Chris Gammons
Professor Dick Johnson
For more information contact me @
1909 Lucky Strike Rd.
Helena, Mt. 59602.